What to Expect From Your Eyelid Surgery Consultation
It’s important to know what to expect from your eyelid surgery consultation. This is an essential step in achieving a successful procedure and being prepared to supply information goes a long way toward a complication-free treatment with great results.
There are a number of points that your surgeon will want to discuss during your consultation. Without knowing as much as possible about your medical history, treatment expectations and more, it’s difficult to achieve the best results from your eyelid surgery.
You should be ready to share information regarding:
- Currently used medications (including vitamins and supplements)
- Tobacco, alcohol and/or drug use
- Drug allergies
- Any current medical conditions
- Past surgeries or other medical treatments
- Your specific goals and expectations for the eyelid surgery
The basic goal of every consultation is for your physician to know as much as possible about your medical situation and treatment goals before moving forward. This helps to ensure that your procedure is informed by your unique circumstances and expectations.
To this end, your consultation may also require you to:
- Have treatment-site photographs taken
- Discuss your general health and any potentially complicating medical factors that may apply to you
- Discuss risk factors and the possibility of any potential side effects that may follow the procedure
- Work with your physician to determine the best course of treatment for your needs
- Discuss whether or not anaesthetic (and what kind) will be used
Always remember that the consultation is the best time to voice any concerns or questions regarding your surgery. The better your surgeon is able to know you and what you require, the better the outcome of your treatment is likely to be.